I recently discovered spiced chickpeas. I hit upon the idea one day, and I’ve been quite pleased with the results ever since. Sometimes I make them as the main star of a dish, and sometimes they’re only a bit part. They’re delicious in the carrot soup. They’re also really good with bitter leafy greens or rice. You can eat them plain, like popcorn or mixed nuts – they’re great for a little nosh. You forget that you’re eating beans, they’re so tasty.
I don’t really measure when I make these, so I’m going to give an approximation of quantities.
1 can Chickpeas
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chilli powder
1/2 tsp. Cayenne powder
1-2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in nonstick frying pan
2. Add chickpeas.
3. Cook chickpeas for 2 minutes, stir continuously to prevent sticking and to coat in oil.
4. Add spices. Continue stirring.
5. Add more oil if chickpeas begin to stick. Adjust spices according to taste.
6. Cook until chickpeas become golden and crispy.