I pulled together an interesting array of ingredients for a surprisingly successful dinner. This was a great winter meal with a hint of citrus to enliven the palate.
Navy Beans and Greens
makes 4 servings
1 head escarole
1 can Navy Beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. mustard
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, grated or mashed
3 Tbsp. sour cream
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. marjoram
salt/pepper to taste
1. Cook brown rice according to package. I have the benefit of a rice cooker.
2. Cut carrots into sticks, approximately 2 inches long
3. Combine in bowl – juice of lemon, grated/mashed garlic, mustard, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, generous pinch of salt
4. Soak carrots in marinade for 5 minutes
5. Wash escarole and tear into pieces
6. Heat large saucepan over medium-high heat
7. Add remaining olive oil and butter to pan until melted and hot
8. Add carrot mixture to pan. Cook for 3 minutes until carrots begin to soften.
9. Add parsley, marjoram and thyme; stir to combine.
10. Add escarole and cover for 3-5 minutes to steam.
11. Uncover and stir to ensure everything is evenly coated.
12. Add navy beans, stir to combine.
13. Season to taste with salt and pepper
14. Lower heat and cook for several more minutes, until it reaches desired tenderness and is well-cooked.
15. Add sour cream, stir to dissolve.
Serve over brown rice and enjoy.
Nutritional Info (per serving, calculations are approximate):