I have a special secret-weapon dessert that I make maybe once a year. Twice if Mike is extra good. I can’t claim to have created this recipe, I am just glad that I am fortunate enough to be in on the secret. The recipe came from my sister, I think she saw it in a magazine, many years ago. This amazingly simple recipe produces a decadent, melt-in-your-mouth molten chocolate cake. Think souffle meets mousse cake. This is delicious with a deep red wine, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, fresh berries… the list goes on. This dessert is designed to be shared. If you make this for your sweetheart, they will fall in love with you all over again.
Massimo’s Rocca di Cioccolata – Molten Chocolate Cake
2 ramekins, makes 4 generous servings, easy to adjust recipe for different quantities
1/2 lb. dark chocolate. Use high quality semi-sweet chocolate. I like a 70% cocoa bar
3/4 cups unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cups flour
1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
4. Melt remainder of chocolate and all of butter in double boiler or microwave, then remove from heat.
5. Stir to combine butter and chocolate. It should be smooth and shiny.
6. Add remaining ingredients one by one, mixing completely after each addition.
7. Pour evenly into prepared ramekins.
8. Top with remaining chocolate chunks.
9. Bake 20-25 minutes.
10. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
Exercise control so that you don’t burn your mouth. The inside will be warm, melted, chocolate-y goodness. Savor this special treat.